Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Am Spoiled


I am spoiled rotten. I thought that I would never ever say that I am spoiled in a 3rd world country. Since arriving in Haiti, I have not made one meal for myself. We have Madame Remmann who cooks every single meal of the week.  I don’t clean my room, bathroom, or change my sheets. We have Rosandre who does that for us every day during the week. She even hangs our clothes once they are out of the washing machine. We just have to let her know there is a load in. We don’t take care of the kids, help with their food, or change their diapers. There are wonderful ladies who help with that at the Mission all the time. We have a driver who drives us everywhere we need to go. This is a good thing because NO ONE wants to drive here. It is crazy! Honking means you are passing/on the wrong side of the road (even in blind areas) and honks back mean don’t do it because I’m coming straight at you. Dago has unbelievable driving skills that we cherish every day we make the 20-30 minute drive to St. Marc. We are so lucky. Who would have thought that in a 3rd world country we would do less cooking, housecleaning, childcare, laundry, and driving than living in the States. I’m not sure what I will do when I come back.

God Moment: At church today a nice young Haitian lady let me borrow her English bible to read. I thought it had come from someone in our group but when I asked who it was from, she took it back with a smile. My hope is that she is learning English. It was just so sweet of her to let me borrow it.

Word/Phrase of the day:
Mwen bezwen...dlo suple: I need....water please (something the kids at the mission ask all the time)

No comments:

Post a Comment