Saturday, September 24, 2011

First Week as a Teacher!


I’m officially a teacher! I started school on Thursday and am so excited to get this school year started! I have a great group of middle school students, 7 in all (Shamma, Harry, Erwann, Stacy, Isrielle, Elisha, and Alex). They love each other and LOVE to talk! This is great except for Harry who talks ALL the time. I’m going to have to work on him. They are so interested in learning about science and math. The first two days went great because they are so involved and interested in what we are learning. I did a science experiment to help them understand how we use the scientific method. They loved it and I think they are learning! I am so excited to teach them this year. Friday in class I taught my middle schoolers about physical decay of rocks as in wind, water, and temperature. We talked about the erosion or rocks by all three physical things. They were amazed that sand on the beaches were actually tiny rocks that have been broken up by water, wind, and temperature. It seems so simple to us but I thought I was going to blow their minds! I knew at that moment that God was going to empower me to make this year so good for them. If I could give them one tidbit of valuable information every day and make it interesting to them, it will give these kids the chance to change Haiti for the better. They are the future of Haiti.

My three high schoolers are a different story. Luke is a senior who hasn’t been in school for almost a year. He just wants to get it done and get out! Jeff is here in Haiti as punishment because he got kicked out of two schools in the states. He doesn’t talk much. And then there is Woodiline who was with all the middle schoolers last year. She is the boss. She’s tried to tell me what’s up a couple times without prevail. They are all quiet and unresponsive. This might be because I am teaching 2 different subjects in math, Geometry and Pre-Algebra, and science, Biology and Chemistry or Physical Science (not sure yet). I’m working on ideas to try and get them more involved. It might be a long year for them if they sit and stare at me the whole class.

God Moment: I realized that I am a teacher. God gave me the talent to educate people, to give them knowledge that they will use for the rest of their lives. I have felt more fulfilled and accomplished in the past two days of school than I have since I got here 3 weeks ago.  It was a beautiful and special moment to know that I have the knowledge to teach these kids anything and everything I possibly can. And God keeps giving me opportunities to teach. Starting this Saturday, I get to work with the men and women at the fishing village teaching them writing and reading in Creole.

Word/Phrase of the day:
On Fridays we have a treat for the kids. It’s called sa pi bon. It is a flavored frozen popsicle that comes in a small plastic case. It comes in all different flavors like cherry, pineapple, coke, ect. Apparently at one time there was something before this one. Since this one now existed, this one is apparently better than that one and the name stuck. The kids loved it (and it literally costs 12 cents for one)!

Sa pi bon: better than that one


No comments:

Post a Comment