Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Class Pets

I’m guessing that from the title you thought I was going to write about some student I have. Well, you’re wrong. When I talk about class pets, I’m talking about rats, all kinds of spiders (especially HUGE spiders…carrying sacs of babies), and a lizard. Let’s start with the rats. They apparently live in our building and can be seen running across the rafters during class. Great. Next I’ll talk about spiders. I don’t mind the little ones or the daddy long legs that are normally around. Those are no big deal. At school we have spiders that are over 6” across, fat and hairy. Now that is something I don’t want crawling around in my room. They also carry their baby eggs in a white sac below their bodies. I definitely don’t want tons of baby huge, fat, hairy spiders in my class.
Finally, there is a nice lizard that calls my room home. He lives in the bookshelf and loves watching me work. He’s an interesting guy because he can change colors to adapt to his surroundings. His color depends on if he is on a book or on the wood of the bookcase. 
On top of all the distracting class pets I will deal with every day, there is a church on the property next to us that seems to know no bounds for church time. They REALLY love the Lord. Last week, they had church four out of the five days we were at school. They started before we got there and went at least until lunch. This means that from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m.-12 p.m. they are worshiping their hearts out with intense singing and preaching with a microphone, guitar, drums, and keyboard. Don’t get me wrong I think it is great that they are having church and are so enthusiastic about it. I just have a feeling that it will be hard competing with the choir for the full part of my morning classes. Church hasn’t been going the past 3 days so we will see how it all really works out. I’m hoping for less church in the mornings so I don’t have to scream at my kids unless they are in trouble.

These are just some things I never considered would be an issue if I were teaching in the states.

God Moment: Taking the Mission kids to the beach on Tuesday morning. We have only been here for 11 days and the kids already trust us enough to take them into the ocean. This means a lot because most of the kids don’t know how to swim and some have only been to the beach 1-2 times in their lives.  God asks us to trust and believe like children  "And he said: 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3 NIV

Word/Phrase of the Day: In any conversation…
Mesi: Thank you
Ou merite sa: You are worthy (worthy of me doing this for you)

How cool is that to be worthy enough for someone to feel that they can do something for us? I think the way we live life would be a lot different if we had this attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment