Saturday, October 1, 2011

Burning Bush


Thursday was one of those off topic days with my 7th graders. Even in the first week, they have the most interesting and best questions I have ever been asked in a classroom. (That may only be because I’ve only taught math before.) Thursday started off with the best question yet. One of my students, Erin, started science class with, “Miss, can a tree be on fire without burning?” If I got that question in the states at a public school I would have had to reply no. Since I am working at a Christian school, I got to explore the one time in history that a bush on fire did not burn. I questioned them to see if they knew when that happened. After some leading questions, one of my students got it. Moses and the burning bush. We read the story out loud in class. We discussed about what Moses was asked to do. We talked about how Moses responded to God when He spoke to him. The students shared how they would have felt and said to God if they came across a burning bush. Would they have been willing to stand up to Pharaoh to let the Israelites free? Or would they have, like Moses, told God that they were not capable to do that with excuse after excuse. We talked about how God can give us the power to do anything if we put our trust in Him. This all came from learning about plants in science class. How lucky am I?

God Moment: One of my students who struggles with school came up to me on Thursday and started talking to me about banana and coconut trees and their leaves. Trees! The same student was asked by one of the staff members what he had learned that day. He said he had been waiting for someone to ask him that all day! He proceeded to tell her about sugar cane and other grasses for 5 minutes. God has been giving me encouragement, showing me that I am teaching these kids in a way that is working.

Word/Phrase of the Day: Taught the men in the fishing village A and B today.
Anana: pineapple
Bagay: thing (usually used in context tut bagay: everything)

No comments:

Post a Comment